As per the Vedic literature the duration of this material universe is limited. The creation of the material universe and its annihilation occurs in cycles of Kalpas.
The details are provided below:
- What is a kalpa :- One day of Brahma is called a Kalpa.
- Duration of Satya-yuga :- 1,728,000 years.
- Satya – yuga is characterized by virtue, wisdom & religion
- Duration of Treta – yuga :- 1,296,000 years
- In Treta-yuga the characteristics of Satya -Yuga starts declining.
- Duration of Dvapara – yuga:- 864,000 years.
- In Dvapara-yuga there is further decline in virtue, religion & wisdom
- Duration of Kali – yuga:- 432,000 years.
- In Kali- yuga decline in the religious principles reaches its pinnacle.
- These 4 yugas rotating a thousand times makes 1 day of Brahma. Similarly these 4 yugas rotating a thousand times makes 1 night of Brahma.
- Brahma lives for 100 years. So, by our calculation Brahma’s total life is 311 trillion and 40 billion earth years.
At the end of Brahma’s life annihilation takes place.